Makes 8 servings.
- 14 ounces (1 can) diced tomatoes (do not drain)
- 1 cup water
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 cup heavy cream or whole coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 0.5 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 cups Basmati rice
Wash rice, add water, and start cooking in a rice cooker.
Mince ginger and add to Instant Pot. Press garlic and add to pot. Add tomatoes, water, tumeric, cayenne, paprika, 1 teaspoon garam masala, cumin, and salt. Mix thoroughly. Place chicken on top of the sauce. Select ‘Meat’, 10 minutes, and press start. Release the pressure. Remove the chicken and set aside.
Using an immersion blender in the pot, blend together all the ingredients into a smooth sauce. Set to simmer, stir occassionally, and cook until thick, around 20 minutes. Turn off the heat. Let the sauce cool for 5 minutes.
Cut butter into 0.5 inch cubes and add to pot. Add cream, sugar, 1 teaspoon of garam masala, and cilantro. Stir until well incorporated. Add the chicken back to the sauce and stir. Serve over Basmati rice.
Adapted from Urvashi Pitre.