Makes 4 servings.
- 4 Persian cucumbers (aka cocktail cucumbers)
- 2 tablespoons salt
Trim the cucumbers and cut into 0.5-inch thick pieces. Place in a small bowl. Sprinkle with salt and toss well to coat. Allow to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes. Rinse off salt mixture and pat dry.
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 2 teaspoons avocado oil
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1.5 teaspoons chili garlic sauce
Mix all ingredients in a 3.5 cup glass airtight container. Once the cucumbers are done getting ’less wet’, add them to the container and seal it. Shake to coat the cucumbers. Refrigerate overnight. Shake occassionally, if convenient. Transfer cucumbers to a plate and serve cold.
A single batch of marinade may be reused to marinate several batches of cucumbers.
Updated on July 21, 2022
- removed the 0.5 teaspoon added salt from the marinade, there’s enough salt on the less-wet cucumbers already
- reduced cucumbers from 5 to 4 to fit my container better
- increase honey and chili sauce a bit