Wed 29 October 2003 #IWantToWorkAtEA.com
Its amazing what you can learn from reading the SEC filings for public companies. I thought Id check out EA’s filing in June and see what I could learn about the company. Its always a great way to see where the money really is and where the company is headed, generally speaking.
So far I’ve gleaned a few interesting tidbits:
- The new EALA is going to be pretty important. EA is consolidating the old LA, Irvine, and Vegas studios into it, at substantial expense.
- Publishing and distribution of 3rd party games has doubled in the last year, making it an important growth area for EA.
- PS/2 revenues went down quite a bit in the last year, while PC went up slightly.
- EA still makes most of its money from PS/2 but PC is a solid second.
- The US went up a healthy amount last year, but Europe was pretty flat. The US and Europe are the big markets for EA. Asia is small, but the combined total for the rest of the world as a whole is not to shabby.
- EA loaned $4m to its EVP when they hired him last year. Awfully good sport of them. ;)